"In the first week since the controversial immigration legislation Senate Bill 1070 was signed into law in Arizona and opponents called for a travel boycott to the state, at least 19 meetings - representing more than 15,000 room nights - have decided to pull out of the destination..."  
I'm in the writing/editing biz, not the branding business, but I'm always curious about how members
of the Tourism Branding group view events. Should Arizona's tourism marketers be explaining the new 
laws? Defending them? Working to get them rescinded?

You need to be a member of Tripatini to add comments!

Join Tripatini

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Ed,

I know your post was awhile back but wanted to respond to you anyway.

From the current news, many other states have now adopted some of Arizona's new immigration laws.

I believe that our Governor Jan Brewer has done a really great job of explaining the new immigration laws and
    defending them on national TV. It is unfortunate that certain companies have chosen to boycott our state without
    knowing all the facts.
    • It's good to see the point of view of someone who's working and living in Arizona, Rose. As one who used to work in the crisis management side of p.r., I think Brewer was doing pretty well, too. But in that debate against her Democratic opponent, she dropped the ball. First, her mind went blank at the beginning of the debate, which could happen to anyone, but later, when pressed about the severed heads, she should have had a ready response that would be more convincing than turning her back on the reporters. Maybe it's her handlers who dropped the ball.
This reply was deleted.