Venice, Florence and Rome for the first time!

I will be travelling to Venice, Florence and Rome for the first time December 4th. I have been to Italy before but only Lake Como. Im wondering if anyone has any advice about Italy in December, festivals going on there, must do's, ect. I will be there December 4th-12th.

You need to be a member of Tripatini to add comments!

Join Tripatini

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• ciao I have accommodation in Rome visit www.girasolereale.com
    ciao Barbara
  • Hi Sally, went to Venice last March... it was amazing.

Must visit St. Mark's Square; Murano Glass factory shows at Murano via the traghetto (boat); Rialto Bridge and its shops found on and close to it; il mercato (the market), museums.
    I have no idea of any festivities going on there during your stay in December.

The market is quite good for any souvenirs that you might need, from there you could also buy fresh fish, fruits, veggies, salami, bread, cheeses, CHOCOLATE...., flowers..etc

Murano Glass is quite expensive at Murano, but you can still find Murano glass at shops in venice (close to the traghetto station called Ferrovia)

We bought a 3day pass for the traghetto (boat ferry), it was worth it because we travelled both upstream and downstream with it. There is a slower traghetto (stopping at all stages) and another faster traghetto which stops at much fewer stages.

If you are a fan of pizza, you should try the small shops that sell sliced portions of pizza... worth the try.
    It is not worth it to go and eat at McDonlds there, cos the prices comparable to those at other restaurants.

NIGHT TIME

There are loads of restaurants everywhere around venice.. if you have a budget on the food, check the menu before entering, because some of them are quite expensive...

Venice by night seems quite romantic.

We wore short sleeved shirts indoors in March, it was comfortable.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me...

Regards,

Andrea Fava,
    Malta
    http://try.It/
    • Thank you so much for the information. I definitely LOVE chocolate, pizza and the thought of buying glass in Venice so what you said is of great interest.

I am in the hospitality industry - obsessed with new restaurants so you probably won't find me at McDonald's.

I really can't wait to get to Italy!

Thanks again,

Sally
  • Hi Sally, concerning Rome, if you want to experience something besides churches, museums and ruins, check my website www.buzzinrome.com with all the best ongoing events in Rome. Rome's only independent travel blog written by locals for International tourists with daily updates
    home-page
    There is Much More than the Vatican and the Colosseum!
    • Thank you very much, this was really helpful!
  • Hey Sally,

Check out NileGuide Florence for things to do, must-see attractions and places to eat.
    Florence Flavor Blog has up to date festivals and information on the city.

If you have any questions about the city, feel free to contact me!

a presto,
    Katie Greenaway
    NileGuide Local Expert of Florence
    • Thank you very much for your response Katie!
This reply was deleted.