Replies

• The last time I was in Venice, about 6 months ago, I was met with a weariness on the part of many shopkeepers;  a dismissiveness on the part of ticket and information agents.  It was, I surmised, from dealing with the same questions day after day, from the thousands of dis-oriented tourists.  I felt badly.  The concierge at a hotel told me there is no more "high season" in Venice--it's always high season, referring to the number of visitors.  So, I do think tourism is a major contributor to the "disneyfication" of Venice, but I can't stop going there, can you?  The print magazine, Departures, (www.departures.com) dedicated an entire issue to Venice (Oct. 2010), reporting that a question often posed to Venetians from hapless tourists is, "What time does Venice close?"   But I have faith:  as long as thoughtful discussions like the ones below from Barbara and Maria continue, solutions will be found and Venice will continue to be the breath taking city it still is for a very long time.  

• Coincidentally, someone just posted a question about Venice on Tripatini's Ask A Travel Pro's feature. If you want to comment, do so here.   http://www.tripatini.com/forum/topics/accomodations-in-venice 

accommodations in Venice
    Can you recommend a centrally located hotel/pensione in Venice?  Clean, safe reasonable rates handicap friendly?  Travel time--end of March.
    • Thank you, Ed! I just replied to Veromica.

Have a nice day,

Best

Cristina

• I'm not convinced that it is tourism per se that is the greatest threat to the soul of Venice, but the fact that Venetians are leaving the city. It's the unique character of the people who live there that makes Venice so much more than a static museum. But as the pressure to turn homes into B&Bs, the loss of local shops selling basic necessities, flooding and the crush of tourists all combine to make the city less habitable, locals are leaving. Definitely tourism is part of it, but it's also what brings a livelihood and helps pay for the preservation of crumbling buildings. If I were appointed Doge tomorrow (OK, an absurd notion), I would have no idea where to begin. 
    • Hello Barbara and Ed,

I agree. Venice is a little gem that has to be protected and preserved. I am Venetian: I was born in Padua and  this has been on ongoing issue for ages. The fact is that Venice is one of the most beautiful cities on Earth with the consequence that millions of people wish to visit it. However, it seems... Venice is not in a position to welcome everybody. Quite controversial, like its airport: Marco Polo at Tessera. Till a few years ago, take offs and landings were about domestic or European flights. In a way I am happy that also long haul flights reach Venice as a destination, at present. At the same time, all this heavy air traffic does not help the poor weak Venetian lagoon. The whole area is geologically fragile but business and economy seem to come first. This is important, don't get me wrong. But this big traffic - day after day - is in a way responsible for killing Venice. In addition, Venice is very, very, very expensive. This is why locals tend to leave to buy or rent a house in the surroundings like Mestre, Campalto, etc. etc.. To refurbish a flat in downtown it costs millions of Euro. Who can afford this? Venice is marvellous, no doubt. But to live over there is another thing. I am grateful to foreign foundations like "Save Venice" that try to restore this and that. I love art and Venice is pure art, no matter what. 

Barbara, I also agree when you say that if you were appointed Doge tomorrow, you would have no idea where to begin... I think I would have the same problem. But, at the end of the day, Venice will survive and will remain as beautiful as it is. Hopefully. Thank you for loving Venice!     

This reply was deleted.