A flight to the Maldives can take from several hours to a day. Travel time and cost depends on where you are going to the islands from. The hassle of flights and transfers is compensated by the ease of obtaining a visa and a 100% paradise vacation that awaits you ahead. Trips to the Maldives are organized by many operators and agencies, but we turned to a company that has been on the market for exotic islands for more than 8 years - wiotto.com. On this site you will find answers to all questions related to holidays in the Maldives: from the "Questions - Answers" section and a blog with articles about the islands, to a detailed catalog with a convenient system for searching and filtering hotels. Today wiotto.com will tell you about how to get to the Maldives and what difficulties you may encounter.
Visa to the Maldives
A tourist visa to the Maldives is issued to all nationalities upon arrival at the airport free of charge for a period of 30 days. After these 30 days, the visa can be extended for another 60 days by contacting the Department of Immigration on the spot.
What is required to obtain a visa:
- A foreign passport with a machine-readable zone (MRZ) with a validity period of at least one month from the start of the trip.
- Confirmation of the purpose of your stay in the Maldives: return air ticket, hotel reservation or proof of funds for your stay in the islands (minimum $150 per day). You can book a hotel and receive a booking confirmation in the Maldives catalog on wiotto.com.
- Completed online Traveler Declaration - 96 hours prior to arrival on the islands. There it is necessary to indicate the classic information about tourists, details of the trip, purpose of the visit, etc.
- Possession of a yellow fever vaccination certificate if you are coming from a country where it can be common. As a rule, these are some countries in Africa and South America.
The presence of these requirements does not give a 100% guarantee that you will receive a visa on arrival, since the decision is made by the migration service on the spot and may depend on other factors. However, in most cases, tourists receive a visa without problems.
Important: embassies of the Maldives, as well as any tourist or visa centers do not issue a visa to the Maldives. It can only be obtained upon arrival at the Maldives airport. The bulk of tourists arrive at Velana International Airport in the capital of the Maldives - Male.
As of the time of writing, there are no restrictions or requirements for visiting the Maldives. All of them were filmed in 2022. If tourists have such a need, in the relevant institutions, including on the territory of resort islands, you can do a test for Covid -19 by notifying the hotel administration in advance.
Flight to the Maldives - how to get there
The Maldives is an island nation located in the Indian Ocean, relatively close to Sri Lanka. Accordingly, you can only get to the paradise islands by plane. There is no ship tourist communication with the Maldives, since the distance to the nearest mainland is very large. The flight to the Maldives consists of two stages:
- Flight from your country to the capital Male - Velana International Airport. There are several other international airports in the Maldives, but it is most likely that you will fly to Male, since this is the largest hub on the islands and this is where the majority of transfers to resorts are made.
- Transfer from Male to the resort island can be carried out in three ways: by speedboat (during the day, and some hotels around the clock), domestic airlines + boat (from morning to evening), by seaplane (from 6 am to 4 pm). Depending on the type of transfer, distance and comfort conditions, a trip for two back and forth can cost from $50 to several tens of thousands. Average transfer costs about 200-600 dollars for two round trip. When booking Maldives hotel on wiotto.com, you will be prompted to select the appropriate transfer type. By the way, all taxes and fees are already included in the price of the hotel presented in the catalog.
Flight to Maldives, depending on the location of your country, as well as the selected airlines, may be direct or with a transfer. As a rule, most transfers or refueling are carried out at airports:
- Istanbul (IST) in Turkey for Turkish airlines;
- Hamad in the capital of Qatar Doha (DOH) for Qatar Airways;
- Dubai to UAE (DXB) for Emirates and Fly Dubai;
- Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (AUH) for Etihad Airways;
- Muscat in Oman (MCT) for Oman Air.
Direct flights to the Maldives from Europe are carried out from the following countries: France (Paris), Great Britain (London), Italy (Rome), Austria (Vienna), Germany (Frankfurt), Switzerland (Zurich) and others.
Direct flights to the Maldives from Asia are operated from the following countries: UAE (Dubai), Oman (Muscat), Bahrain (Muharraq), Qatar (Doha), Saudi Arabia (Riyadh), Turkey (Istanbul), Thailand (Bangkok), India (Mumbai), Sri Lanka (Colombo) and others.
There are no direct flights from America to the Maldives. Transplantation is carried out either in Europe or in Asia.
Tip: when planning a trip to the islands, book a hotel in the Maldives in advance - 3-4 months before the trip, you will have a much larger selection of available villas. You will be able to book exactly the resort that suits your wishes and budget. If you look for a hotel for a week or two, there are many chances that there will be no free villas. In addition, early booking is more profitable, because there are often discounts. Contact online chat wiotto.com - managers will advise and help you choose a resort.