SriLanka is among the tourist destinations in Asia that have remained more or less unspoilt by outside influences and influx of visitors. The coconut palm-fringed sprawling beaches, calm blue water and lush tea plantations woo tourists of all kinds to this beautiful tropical nation. There are plenty of tropical evergreen forests, ancient fortresses and temples and colorful tribal festivals to keep you hooked. The island paradise is inhabited by friendly tribes who offer warm hospitality to the visitors. The long civil war of the country ended in 2009 and thereafter, the tourism industry has grown by leaps and bounds.
Major places to see in Srilanka
While Sri Lanka is not a big country, it still has plenty of attractions for the visitors. Apart from the sightseeing, you will also be charmed by the tantalizing, diverse cuisine and cultural diversity of the country. Listed below are the major attractions that should be included in the Ravishing Srilanka tour package chosen by you.
- Colombo- The capital city of Sri Lanka has plenty of attractions to enthrall the visitors- regardless of the age group. There are plenty of hotels and transport system is good and that is the reason many travelers make Colombo their base for exploring Srilanka. The nightlife in the capital is thriving and the beaches are ideal for enjoying morning strolls. The major tourist attractions in the city include the National Museum, Viharamahadevi Park, Dutch Period Museum, Turtle Conservation Villa, St. Anthony Church and Wolvendaal Church.
- Nuwara Eliya- Nuwara Eliya is a beautiful hill destination known for its cool and relaxing climate. The ambiance is reminiscent of traditional English town laden with colonial-era bungalows, well maintained lawns and tended hedgerows. It is perfect to detox your mind weary of the cluttered urban scene. The major attractions in Nuwara Eliya are Gregory Lake, Hakgala Botanical Gardens, and Bale Bazaar. You also get to see lustrous tea gardens and a nice golf course.
- Kandy- Deemed as one of the top attractions of Sri Lanka, Kandy has mesmerizing beauty. The amazingly beautiful spice gardens and lush tea gardens in this region can soothe your tired eyes. One major tourist attraction here is the famous Temple of the tooth. You should not miss out the amazing museums like the Ceylon Tea Museum, Sri Dalada Museum and World Buddhism Museum.
- Mirissa- located at southern corner of the country, Mirissa is ideal for those seeking romantic weekend getaways to spend some cozy moments. The palm-fringed shores and amazing vast beaches will blow you away. The sea front cafes are also ideal for spending nice time with your loved ones. Additionally, you can opt for whale and dolphin watching tours here.
- Polonnaruwa- To get a glimpse into ancient heritage of Sri Lanka, you should visit Polonnaruwa. This is a culturally opulent ancient city, with traces of the early civilization. The royal palace complex ruin is spectacular and you will find many more tombs, temples, statues. This is a haven for the history buffs but others will also have a gala time.
- Anuradhapura- Anuradhapura is another tourist destination in Sri lanka and it has been the center for Theravada Buddhism. The ancient monasteries are worth exploring and the ambiance is unique. The huge number of archaeological sites can make you enthralled. There are a number of temples too.
How and when to visit
The majority of tourists visiting Sri Lanka prefer flights and the Bandaranaike international airport in Colombo is the destination. From India, a few ferry services are available and nowadays luxury cruise liners are also operating in the route.
In Sri Lanka, you can travel to places by using bus and train routes. The Central bus stand is located in Colombo and it offers buses for intercity travel. The capital is hub of Sri Lanka Railways. The train services are lighter on the wallet though congestion can be an issue.
While Sri Lanka witnesses tourist influx almost all over the year, the months July to September are deemed ideal for visit. The sea remains calmer and you can witness flora and fauna of the place at their best. December to March is the time when the tourist inflow shoots up. So you should try not to book your Colombo tour package in this period.