Crete is one of the 600 islands of Greece and one of the largest and most visited by tourists. In order not to get lost with all the variety of places you can visit, here goes a list of essentials, those that you cannot leave Crete without having visited them. Then if you have any time left over you can see other things, but don’t even think of missing these:
· Elafonisi Beach. The finest sand—and it’s pink! It is considered one of the best beaches in Europe and deserves it: the wonderful natural surroundings make it a true paradise.
· Agios Nikolaos. Agios Nikolaos or St. Nicholas is located on Mirabello Bay and is one of the most popular cities in Crete among tourists.
· The Palace of Knossos. The palace of Knossos is a must for tourists visiting this island. It is one of the most important archaeological sites of the Minoan culture.
· Samaria Gorge. Besides boasting one of the finest beaches, Crete can also claim to have the longest gorge in Europe, none other than the Samaria Gorge, located in a natural park in the southwest of the island. Its 16 kilometers feature long stone walls and it can be covered in 4 to 8 hours.
· Chania. The second most populated town on the island receives more visitors than Heraklion, the capital. The influence of the Venetians in the monuments, buildings and streets of Chania make it a very charming and picturesque town.
· Balos Lagoon. Around 50 kilometers from Chania is an area called Balos. It is on a tip in northwest Crete and offers visitors a beautiful beach of white sand, crystal clear water that is not very deep and a small island called Gramvoussa that is lovely to look at.
“The IBEROSTAR Hotels & Resorts group has 2 hotels on the island of Crete, with 4 and 5 stars and the option of staying All Inclusive. These hotels provide everything visitors look for when on vacation on this Greek island: a full gastronomic offer with all kinds of bars and restaurants, and entertainment possibilities ranging from the relaxation of a spa to adrenalin-packed activities such as water skiing and even sports you can practice at the hotel facilities, for instance tennis.”
from our blog PassportTo...