Visit Albania - The Europe's Last Secret

Through these discussions i am going to publish short articles about the Albania Major Attractions. There is a lot to see in this country of Eagles, which this year is celebrating the 100 years of Independence. November 28th 1912 - November 28th 2012.

Gjirokastra, the Stoned City

Published in Infoalbania.org

Gjirokastra is a town in southern Albania, which in 2005 was included in the list of World Heritage by UNESCO. It is a historical city and placed on slopes Drino River valley, has beautiful scenery and bordered by high mountains.

Known as the "City of a thousand stairs" Gjirokastra is characterized by Ottoman-style houses with stone roof, with wooden balconies and cobblestone streets. Gjirokastra historic Castle is located on top of a hill. Gjirokastra has a past of troubled situations and has been a center for Italian fascist invaders.

Her beautiful story has inspired many artists to create poems, songs, stories, etc.. This city is known as the stoned city and is defined a center of tourism development on cultural heritage. In the cobbled streets you may find traditional old markets (bazaars) that seems to welcome all those passersby willing to turn back in time. Then it is a wonderful castle of XIII century that recalls the time of medieval rulers and those of the former communist regime. Also, many houses have returned into inns to welcome travelers showing one of the citizens’ virtue as very hospitable people.

gjrokastra.jpg

You need to be a member of Tripatini to add comments!

Join Tripatini

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I take it Tourism Albania may be seeking pitches from the travel blogging community for their new campaign? I would be interested in helping to promote :)

• Hi Cristina,

I really think it that way but unfortunately i am not the person who makes such decisions :). It's an approach that government should make. I am able to send proposals and in case they find those interesting they follow up.

• 100 years! Great news to hear! This country offers so much to visitors. I enjoyed my brief time in Tirana and would love to return to explore Albania more in-depth one day :)

• You are welcomed:)

This reply was deleted.