Replies

• Elena -- Bangkok has just been named the world's number one top city by readers of Travel + Leisure magazine, in the annual 'best' list issue (September). That recognition, plus the effort launched by the Thai government and the gov't-related Tourism Authority of Thailand, should go a long way to renew confidence in visiting.

I was in Thailand in March, just before the demonstrations got out of control. Let's please remember that these demonstrations were limited to Bangkok. There was no 'situation' in any other part of the country at any time. The Thais are warm and welcoming people. I would go back to Thailand in a heartbeat.
  • Thanks CanCan.

CanCan said:
    I have been in the area for 8 years. Happy to answer questions but I'm more of a budget/adventure.
  • Thanks Dave!

David Paul Appell said:
    Elena, this came to us via our content partner, Hedonists Guides. You can leave them a profile message or send them an email and perhaps they can help steer you in the right direction. Good luck! --Dave

Simon & Baker Travel Review said:
    Hi David Paul!

Thanks for the quick reply and link!

That looks interesting... Did you write the note? When were you there? Do you have a PR contact? Elena
  • Elena, this came to us via our content partner, Hedonists Guides. You can leave them a profile message or send them an email and perhaps they can help steer you in the right direction. Good luck! --Dave

Simon & Baker Travel Review said:
    Hi David Paul!

Thanks for the quick reply and link!

That looks interesting... Did you write the note? When were you there? Do you have a PR contact? Elena
  • I have been in the area for 8 years. Happy to answer questions but I'm more of a budget/adventure.
  • Hi Forrest and thanks for your reply and comments.

It's good to know things are calm there. We are looking at trips in September and October. We are always looking for foodie finds, fun activities to experience and if appropriate feature. Feel free to share any insights directly at editor at simonandbaker.com . Elena

Forrest Walker said:
    I have been in Thailand for over a month now. I have spent all but a few days in Chiang Mai.
    The "social unrest" is not to be seen. Everything is calm and the Thai people are wonderful and happy to have us here.
    The "fall" (November Dec) is the high season here, but for now tourists are few and far between.
    As far as luxury trips in the Chiang Mai area, I suppose the ultimate would be the Four Seasons. This one is outside of town. In town, the Shangri La is truly nice, way above MY budget.
    Outdoor activities abound, some of the more "luxurious" would be the balloon trips and the zip lines.
    Shopping for silver, Jade and silk is as expensive as you want it to be, the quality is truly excellent.
    I could tell you more but IO'm not sure this ios what you are looking for.
    • For a "foodie" thing take a cooking class. I went to Chiang Mai Thai Cookery school for five days, and gained 10 pounds! You can go one day at at time if you so desire. The facilities are first rate and the "menu" that you cook each day is wonderful.
      You can find Chiang Mail Thai Cookerys school on websites such as Thaivisa.com. Physically it is locted about a block from Tha Pae gate, on the inside of the old town. There are a dozen or so cooking schools. I searched and found this one, and was quite pleased.
  • I have been in Thailand for over a month now. I have spent all but a few days in Chiang Mai.
    The "social unrest" is not to be seen. Everything is calm and the Thai people are wonderful and happy to have us here.
    The "fall" (November Dec) is the high season here, but for now tourists are few and far between.
    As far as luxury trips in the Chiang Mai area, I suppose the ultimate would be the Four Seasons. This one is outside of town. In town, the Shangri La is truly nice, way above MY budget.
    Outdoor activities abound, some of the more "luxurious" would be the balloon trips and the zip lines.
    Shopping for silver, Jade and silk is as expensive as you want it to be, the quality is truly excellent.
    I could tell you more but IO'm not sure this ios what you are looking for.
  • Sure, Elena, go for it. He's a very busy young man, so sometimes he replies to emails in length, and other times, not at all. But if he does get back to you, it'll be with some real insider's observations.

Elena said:
    Hi Ed and thanks for your reply. I imagine he must have some thoughts about things. Is it ok to email him directly?

Ed Wetschler said:
    My nephew ( dane.wetschler@gmail.com ) has been living in Bangkok, editing a magazine about coffee, speaks the language, and has a lot of friends there. He's visiting in the States now; will return to Bangkok next weekend.
  • Hi Ed and thanks for your reply. I imagine he must have some thoughts about things. Is it ok to email him directly?

Ed Wetschler said:
    My nephew ( dane.wetschler@gmail.com ) has been living in Bangkok, editing a magazine about coffee, speaks the language, and has a lot of friends there. He's visiting in the States now; will return to Bangkok next weekend.
This reply was deleted.