Sex in the City 2 and Abu Dhabi.

Our beloved charter members of the Cougar Club, Carrie, Samantha, Charlotte and Miranda will winging their way to exotic Abu Dhabi for an all expenses paid week's vacation in this latest movie version of HBO's popular series. The movie premiers May 27th in the US.

I am an American living and working in the somewhat sleepy city of Abu Dhabi. If decadence and sexual adventure are what the Gal Pals are looking for, they might be disappointed in this predominantly Muslim city. I know!.

However, this is the first I have heard Abu Dhabi mentioned in a mainstream movie. I predict the film will be a major success and this previously "off the radar" city will be a hot destination in the late Summer and Fall. Tourism will be way up!

For real insights on Abu Dhabi, see my blog at: http://expatuae.blogspot.com/
or my column at: abudhabitempo.com/

Contact me if you want a custom article or column .I am a contributor on Triptini.

What's next? SATC3 in The Vatican?

You need to be a member of Tripatini to add comments!

Join Tripatini

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• DP, it made no sense to me either. Why not just make the vacation venue for the gals Morocco where it was actually filmed? The classic romantic movie "Casablanca" used the country as the setting. The culture and the scenery are similar to Western eyes.

That makes me think there are some moneyed "influences" that want Abu Dhabi to get some global exposure. What better way than a probable Hollywood blockbuster? The local UAE officials keep their hands clean by refusing obvious involvement in the production but still get the country publicity with the resultant increase in tourism. Win-win, very shrewd!

There is some sibling rivalry in the UAE and now that Dubai's golden image is somewhat tarnished, the powers in Abu Dhabi are taking advantage of the weakness. Abu Dhabi is the tortoise to Dubai's hare and there are some great projects in development here. Unlike Dubai, Abu Dhabi has the oil money for sustained development but this Emirate lacks the recognition of its glamorous but destitute sister only 60 miles up the road. Up to now, everyone knows where Dubai is but Abu Dhabi usually draws blank stares when mentioned. SATC2 is meant to correct that.

Abu Dhabi is working very hard to become the showcase of the UAE, and they might just pull it off.

David Paul Appell said:
    When I first saw the trailer, I goggled a bit -- the Sex & the City vixens in a country where people are arrested for kissing? It seemed bizarre.
  • When I first saw the trailer, I goggled a bit -- the Sex & the City vixens in a country where people are arrested for kissing? It seemed bizarre.
  • Right you are!
    Please check out my blog and leave me a comment.
    Thanx
  • At the top of my blog site, there is a button that says "FOLLOW". Try that. If it is in Arabic, it is the far left button. I am still trying to get that changed to English.

Good blog, Forrest! I signed up. I like your style!

I am intrigued about living in Panama.

Gulf News? Consider the source.

Forrest Walker said:
    Randy,
    I live in Ajman, soon to move to Sharjah.
    My blog is
    theothersideofthecoconut.wordpress.com
    We have similar points of view, you should subscribe to my blog. I tried to subscribe to yours but I got 20 screens of gibberish. I still want to follow your blog, and I hope you follow mine and make comments!
  • Forrest,
    The UAE powers that be forbade actual on-location filming here. The Abu Dhabi scenes were actually recorded in Morocco complete with a fake Emirates Palace Hotel. However, the references to Abu Dhabi remain in the movie. Google the movie trailer.

I think the production has Abu Dhabi investors that wanted the mention for publicity without the potential domestic controversy. The film title alone will probably prohibit screening here in the UAE, but the city will get worldwide attention.

Win-win!

Forrest Walker said:
    I read where this is not so. In the Gulf News.
  • Randy,
    I live in Ajman, soon to move to Sharjah.
    My blog is
    theothersideofthecoconut.wordpress.com
    We have similar points of view, you should subscribe to my blog. I tried to subscribe to yours but I got 20 screens of gibberish. I still want to follow your blog, and I hope you follow mine and make comments!
  • I read where this is not so. In the Gulf News.
This reply was deleted.