Is this not a closed site?

Several days ago, I posted a listing here that I was looking for people to pitch stories to a new magazine and for the last two or three days, I've been getting e-mails that had me thinking people were looking for employment.  I couldn't figure out what was going on because this was the only site on which I put this posting, to test the waters a bit.

Tonight, I got an e-mail from someone in a foreign country along these lines, "I'm looking for a job, etc." and he mentioned he saw the listing on another site, genuinejobs.com.  I never posted anything there and I had felt safe posting something here because it was my understanding it was a login site only.

The listing I'm talking about is here: http://www.genuinejobs.com/jobs_detail.php?id=51092 and it was taken from this site, verbatim, obviously a cut and paste, but at some point a human had to take part in it because my e-mail was removed from the posting and entered into another field for just my e-mail address.

What happened?  Should I just pull the posting here in the hopes I stop hearing from "job applicants"?

You need to be a member of Tripatini to add comments!

Join Tripatini

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The REAL HOUSE BOATERS IN KERALA 
    Keralahouseboaters.com
    Email:keralahouseboaters@gmail.ciom
    Web:www.keralahouseboaters.com
    9010640676?profile=original
    Kerala Houseboaters
    The Kettuvallam (houseboats in Kerala) was a large floating structure with high loading carrying capacity was a part of Kerala's culture and heritage over the past years. houseboats / Kettuvallam of Kerala could sail harnessing wild energy. A journey through the lagoon is interesting, passing through sleepy villages, busy boat jetties and vibrant celebrations. The boat glides across the shimmering blue waters with gorgeous green and fringed edges.The small cargo boats called Kettuvalloms are frequently used in the waterways for the above purpose. "Kettu" literally means to tie up and "Vallom" means " boats". The boats played a major role in the economic development of ancient Kerala, moving cargo and men from the very nook and corner of otherwise unreachable area, cutting across the length and breadth of the land

HOUSE BOAT CRUISE

Cruising along the backwaters of Kerala will be an unforgettable experience in your life time. Meandering streams, chirpy birds, murmuring forests, and the slender breeze of god’s own country makes you feel the heaven is here. Above all, spending a night in the lap of nature inhaling the serene environment will calm your body and soul makes your journey worthwhile.
    Kerala Houseboats| Kumarakom Houseboats| Kerala Houseboat Cruise| Kumarakom Backwater Tours
    Kumarakom Houseboats - Keralahouseboaters offers the best hoseboatsin Kumarakom. Enjoy a houseboat cruise tour along Kumarakom Backwaters, Kerala.
  • Hello, Nancy!  We're sorry to hear about this bothersome development. Only Tripatini members may post and respond to postings on this site, and if any abuse of that is reported, depending on the nature of the case we will expel the inidviduals concerned from the site or first raise the issue with them and if they continue to act inappropriately, then expel them.  However, as a general rule, while our core membership remains writers, other travel media, and travel industry professionals, we are not meant to be ONLY for them, we're also are open to many travel enthusiasts among the general public.  In addition, many non-member may read postings, and as is the case with most other sites on the Internet we unfortunately cannot prevent them from copying text and posting it elsewhere, regardless of whether this is appropriate or not.  This is one of the minuses we must all live as a cost of having an open Internet.

Regarding the link you cite above, there does not appear to be any substantive information on that page; do you have a link to a page where your information is duplicated in the way that you say?  In this case, the person who cut and pasted your posting may have done so in good faith - or not, there's no way of telling.  We, too, get emails and proposals as a result of this kind of activity, and what we generally do is ignore them. If you on the other hand find this bothersome, your first line of defense is be to contact the operators of GenuineJobs.com and ask that they remove that unauthorized posting, as you have indeed said you have done. 

We wish you good luck with your efforts and hope you will continue to consider us a resource. Over the years, we and our members have found that the disadvantages of having our postings visible by all have been greatly outweighed by the advantages. 

• Thanks so much for the explanation.  It was also explained to me privately that my putting my e-mail address in linkable form might have caught the attention of a bot of some sort - lesson learned.

While the link was up there last night at genuinejobs.com, it is gone this morning.  Seems the folks there respond quickly when someone asks an ad be taken down.

One good thing is, my posting here alerted people who hadn't seen my original one and I am (once again) hearing from quality writers.  I was really beginning to wonder what was going on when I started getting e-mails that were a mess!  In addition, they weren't following the instructions CLEARLY given in the posted message, a good indication it's someone who hasn't put the effort into studying up on the proper way to do things.

I'm just glad that's done with...  I've liked the quality of the writers here, having read so many articles where the links have been posted, and I find this site to be much more targeted than other groups I have "linkedin" to.

• Sorry about the unwanted replies, Nancy. This has happened to posts in closed LinkedIn groups and other sites, and it's hard to avoid on the internet. Nobody can stop a member from reposting information somewhere else. Why they repost it, I have no clue. 

• Same with me--I only needed to log in to reply.  But I'm glad you asked the question since it drew my attention to your original post.

• Thanks for checking that as well, Steven.  Now I know not to do that here again.  I have sent a message to the powers that be on the other site, asking them remove the listing.  The posting here was a targeted posting to see how it would be received.  I was becoming rather astonished, thinking the people contacting me were from here.  This is a site for established writers, after all!

• Oh, that's just dandy!  LOL

I've been getting e-mails from people "wanting a job" and the spelling, grammar and punctuation (forget about paragraphs) have been atrocious.  And following the instructions to visit the site to check out the editorial guidelines is completely taken out of their thinking.

***SIGH***  I knew this was going to be hard, I just didn't realize it would be THIS hard.

Thanks, Ren, for checking that out for me.

• I was able to read this message without logging in to the Tripatini site, so I assume that while participation in the discussion requires logging in, viewing messages does not.

This reply was deleted.