Going to Madrid Spain, any recommendations?

Hi there, I am heading for Madrid Spain in a few months and wondered if anybody had an idea of what to do/see while there and also what hotels you would recommend, especially one that might be open to offering press rate accommodation in exchange for a mention in my article. I am a published writer and do have outlets so can offer them those. Thanks in advance for any advice/help.

You need to be a member of Tripatini to add comments!

Join Tripatini

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Sheila. If you have the chance to get out of the city, can I recommend a visit to the village of Cinchon. Can't help with public transport info on this but can tell you it takes about 50 minutes in a car. Here's a clip from one of my Spanish features
    '...the Plaza Mayor, the town’s focal point, is regarded as one of the most beautiful in Europe. Three storied balconied and galleried timber and stone buildings form an irregular four sided shape surrounding ancient cobbles that still host bull fights, theatre productions, cinema sets and in the past, executions, proclamations and one instance of a royal coronation. The town rises away from its fascinating and stunningly pretty centre connected by narrow lanes and shadowy dark courtyards. Agriculture is and always has been the primary source of wealth for Chinchon and its garlic crop is said to be one of the best in the world'.
  • super! thanks so much, I really appreciate the suggestions and will follow up with them. I just hope they don't have all the snow that has been blowing across the rest of Europe recently. I wrote a picture essay on this today, it's here at:
    www.examiner.com/x-29076-SF-World-Travel-Examiner~y2010m1d10-Travel... (freezing in that snow, but it makes for some wonderful pictures!)
  • Hi Sheila,

Madrid is a great city, and has great places to stay. May we suggest one of the following;

1. AC Santa Mauro
    2. Hotel Adler
    3. Hotel Orfilia
    4. Hotel Puerta America

The Team at Hg2
    http://www.hg2.com
  • Any contact information I wonder on Virginia? Thanks so much.

Michael Kaye said:
    Get in touch with Virginia Irruita from Made for Spain. Virginia is to high class travel in Spain what Oprah is to afternoon talk show hosts
  • Get in touch with Virginia Irruita from Made for Spain. Virginia is to high class travel in Spain what Oprah is to afternoon talk show hosts
  • Thank you so much Julia. I couldn't do the bull fight thing, I'm vegetarian and I've already read the literature on what happens :-( it's not a fair fight, the bulls don't ask for it. But I appreciate all the other advice. Any hotel ideas, especially for one which might offer a comp rate? Thanks again.

Ferne Arfin said:
    Sheila,
    I would make sure to see Guernica at the Museo Reina Sofia . If you know anything at all about the history of the painting, it is very moving to see it in Spain, especially in the relatively bleak gallery they show it in.

I'd also try to have a pair of espadrilles made at Casa Hernanz on Toledo, 18, just outside Plaza Mayor. It's a fourth generation shop and espadrille factory and a fascinating place to shop and photograph. There is always line of women outside looking in the windows and looking at their own shoes . Very atmospheric.

If you can, have someone Spanish take you to one of the late night Sevillanas clubs where men and women, girls and boys of all shapes, ages and sizes dance this very sexy dance until the sun comes up. And forget your diet to have some chocolate and churros for breakfast.

I also went to see a bull fight when I was in Madrid. I felt I had no right to have an opinion about this activity without seeing it for myself. It was an interesting and intense afternoon and I'd recommend doing it once in your life.

Have fun.
  • Sheila,
    I would make sure to see Guernica at the Museo Reina Sofia . If you know anything at all about the history of the painting, it is very moving to see it in Spain, especially in the relatively bleak gallery they show it in.

I'd also try to have a pair of espadrilles made at Casa Hernanz on Toledo, 18, just outside Plaza Mayor. It's a fourth generation shop and espadrille factory and a fascinating place to shop and photograph. There is always line of women outside looking in the windows and looking at their own shoes . Very atmospheric.

If you can, have someone Spanish take you to one of the late night Sevillanas clubs where men and women, girls and boys of all shapes, ages and sizes dance this very sexy dance until the sun comes up. And forget your diet to have some chocolate and churros for breakfast.

I also went to see a bull fight when I was in Madrid. I felt I had no right to have an opinion about this activity without seeing it for myself. It was an interesting and intense afternoon and I'd recommend doing it once in your life.

Have fun.
  • I had a Spain group invite sent to you -- it's a group here, just like Media Only. Check the big long list in the left column on the front page.

Sheila O'Connor said:
    sorry but what or where is the Spain group please? thanks so much

David Paul Appell said:
    I have a couple of ideas, too, which I'll post this weekend. Why don't you also pose this query in the Spain group? All the Spain experts are there!
  • sorry but what or where is the Spain group please? thanks so much

David Paul Appell said:
    I have a couple of ideas, too, which I'll post this weekend. Why don't you also pose this query in the Spain group? All the Spain experts are there!
  • wonderful! thanks so much Julia, were you able to get any kinds of discounts as a writer I wonder?

Julia Coney said:
    Sheila, I stayed at Hotel de les Letras and it was great. It's centrally located on Gran Via. I would also recommend having afternoon tea at the Madrid Ritz Carlton after touring the Prado Museum. I hope this helps for now. Outside of Plaza Mayor they have really great food shops to explore. If you are like pork, the jamon iberico is worth eating. I have more restaurants in my notes and will forward them to you later. I
This reply was deleted.