Editor needed, New York City

Seeking a Senior Editor for inflight mag

Ink, the world’s leading publisher of inflight magazines, is seeking an experienced Senior Editor for one of its premier travel titles. The monthly magazine for a major US airline features a vibrant mix of travel, lifestyle, product and business offerings. 

The perfect candidate will have at least three years of experience as a commissioning editor on a consumer magazine with a plethora of freelance writer contacts across a range of specialties. Experience on travel publications is a plus. The Senior Editor should have a fine eye for detail, with excellent writing and organizational skills. We are looking for an editor who is excited about the world of travel and enthusiastic about crafting copy into award-winning features. As part of a small but efficient staff, the candidate should be passionate about brainstorming truly original feature and FOB concepts; have excellent writing, top editing, line-editing and copy-editing skills; be experienced in trafficking copy; and possess a desire to be a leader on the editorial team.

Along with your resume and cover letter, please submit your salary requirements and two recent writing clips. Submit materials to orion@ink-global.com

Our editorial office provides a friendly, creative environment. This job is located in DUMBO, Brooklyn. Relocation is not offered, so local applicants are preferred.
Responsibilities

• Conceiving timely, creative and exciting feature and FOB concepts
• Developing relationships and negotiating contracts with freelance writers
• Commissioning, top editing and rewriting freelance copy
• Writing features, sidebars, FOB items and display copy
• Assisting the managing editor in trafficking copy and keeping team on deadline
• Training junior editor and interns
• Managing budget, liaising with airline client
• Developing a vision for future direction of magazine
• Staying up to date with latest travel trends and offerings within airline’s destinations
Requirements

• Excellent writing and editing skills
• 3 years of commissioning editor experience
• Salary requirements and writing clips included with resume and cover letter

The contact is Orion Ray-Jones, editorial director (I think that's his title) for Ink Publishing.

Orion.Ray-Jones@ink-global.com

You need to be a member of Tripatini to add comments!

Join Tripatini

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• And I think I'm being a bit mis-leading.  Ink is the company and they do several magazines.  I wrote for one of their inflight magazines, which they no longer do since it was acquired by another airline.

But the sentiment is the same...  Great company!

• Which inflight is this? Is it Hemispheres? I wrote for them for 15 years before Ink took over.

• I don't know which inflight it is, Michelle.

• Thanks for the acknowledgement, Ed.  And I can't say it enough - this is a GREAT magazine to work with/for!  If I were qualified and in the area, I'd be tempted to apply.  I envy the person who gets this position!

• Praise like this is a rare thing in today's stingy world. Good to hear.

• I've written for these guys and they are a GREAT magazine to work for and with! 

I also noted a typo in the third paragraph in the e-mail address (I'm guessing you cut and pasted this) but the e-mail address is at the end.

• Good catch, Nancy. This was indeed a cut-and-paste, but I've corrected it anyway. 

This reply was deleted.