Advice sought on Tulum

I'll soon be taking a trip to the Yucatan for two hotel pieces. As has happened in the past, I've been invited to visit Tulum, but maybe I should skip the ruins and concentrate on the hotels, because I'm on a fast, in-and-out schedule.   What would you advise for this writer who's seen Palenque, etc.?

Please click this Ask A Travel Expert widget and reply in that field.  

You need to be a member of Tripatini to add comments!

Join Tripatini

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Which part of the Yucatan are you visiting? If you're going to the Riviera Maya and Cancun, then Tulum is 'in the neighborhood'. It's crowded because every tourist who visits Cancun or RM makes a pilgramage there, and because it's alongside the ocean, it's also popular with local families, who take the trail down from the cliff to the water and enjoy the beach. There's not much shade, so get there by 9 a.m. or after 5 p.m. Chichen Itza and Palenque are further inland, but if you have the chance, get to Uxmal.
  • I've learned something from each of you, and I'm grateful to you. Regarding your phrase, Kimberly -- "different perspectives of different people" -- I've also been reminded that Tulum is not one of those places that are so great or so awful that everyone's in agreement about it.
  • That's so funny, different perspectives of different people.

I went twice on two different days within the same week and probably spent a total of five hours hanging out there (and I didn't take my suit to hang out on the beach!) and I'd still like to go back again.
  • I have been in Mexico for the past 3+ months and have visited all the sites. Tulum is spectacular for its location on the beach, but the ruins themselves pale in comparison to Palenque, Chichen Itza, Uxmal, etc. Donna is correct - you can see it in an hour.
  • Hi Ed,
    I visited Palenque, Chichin Itza and Tulum on a recent trip to Mexico, and loved them all, Palenque the most and perhaps Chichen Itza the least - because it is soooooo crowded - but they all have their reasons to visit so if you are going to be in Tulumyou should make the effort to visit the ruins. Their high point is the absolutely spectacular cliff-top perch. You won't see aything else like them and on a sunny day the photos are amazing. I sold several stories just on the Tulum ruins. Well worth a visit.
    Have fun.
    Cheers,
    Melanie
  • It's small and bland. The thing it has going for it is that it's on the coast and that it's picturesque. The ruin complex is clean, and the approach is nice, the beach is beautiful, but the main ruins themselves are pretty tiny as you'll probably recall from your previous trip. It has a vastly different feel than Chichen Itza, as far as the other two I've yet to attend. Look at a few photos of it on flickr. That's about what you're going to see when you go. One place i'd highly suggest for the future is adding Tikal down in Guatemala. It blows Chichen Itza and Tulum out of the water.

My tip would actually be to head just outside of Tulum to Dos Ojos and go snorkeling in the Cenote. It's pretty incredible.
  • Ed, I've been away, so am late in joining in the conversation about Tulum.

I am a beach person, and so what I really liked about Tulum was the wonderful, small and secluded beach. It is safe for swimming, and the view will blow you away. Standing in the crystal clear water and looking up at the cliff and seeing the ruins overlooking the beach is well worth the visit.

IMHO, that's what sets Tulum apart from other Mexican ruins. It may not be as big or as dramatic as some of the other locations, but it's the beachfront setting that sets it apart -- and makes it worth the trip.
  • My advice to anyone when visiting the Yucatan area - visit all of the ruins you have time for, no matter how big or small. Each one is different, has a different look and feel, has a different story ... I'm an archaeology nut, so I say yes, visit the ruins at Tulum.

It's completely different from Chichen. It's smaller and it's on the beach (take your swimming suit because there is beach access).

You can view slideshows of my Maya ruin photographs. Both Chichen and Tulum are there.
    tulum.it - tulum Resources and Information.
    tulum.it is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find he…
  • Allan, my schedule is hemmed in on both sides, so I can't extend the visit, but your suggestion really is right on. Donna, the Coba-Tulum comparison sounds like a smart one.

Stephen, thanks for the book recommendation. About a year ago I visited several Mayan ruins in and around Tabasco (although that state is better known for Olmec and Zoltec sites, if it's known at all beyond archaeological circles), and one of the theories I heard a lot regarding the fall of Mayan civilization was that they deforested their environment so they could have charcoal for producing plaster. It's an intriguing idea, but I'll be interested to see what Diamond has found.

Stephen Duplantier said:
    The archaeology makes the difference in understanding what you are seeing. Chichen Itzá is Toltec, an excellent restoration. Palenque is the crown jewel of 7th century Classic Mayan era, the city of Pakal the Great. Tulum is Post-Classical. The story is understanding the succession of cultures and especially the collapse of the Maya. Read Jared Diamond's book Collapse. Without the understanding, it's just a bunch of old limestone buildings.
  • The archaeology makes the difference in understanding what you are seeing. Chichen Itzá is Toltec, an excellent restoration. Palenque is the crown jewel of 7th century Classic Mayan era, the city of Pakal the Great. Tulum is Post-Classical. The story is understanding the succession of cultures and especially the collapse of the Maya. Read Jared Diamond's book Collapse. Without the understanding, it's just a bunch of old limestone buildings.
This reply was deleted.