Advice sought on Tulum

I'll soon be taking a trip to the Yucatan for two hotel pieces. As has happened in the past, I've been invited to visit Tulum, but maybe I should skip the ruins and concentrate on the hotels, because I'm on a fast, in-and-out schedule.   What would you advise for this writer who's seen Palenque, etc.?

Please click this Ask A Travel Expert widget and reply in that field.  

You need to be a member of Tripatini to add comments!

Join Tripatini

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Tulum is pretty compact, and a couple power sight-seers I met while there recently zipped through it in about an hour or so. The best thing about it (for me) is the beach access, but it gets crowded fast. Haven't been to Chichen Itza or Palenque yet, but in the nearby area I thought Coba was the more interesting sight over Tulum.
  • Ed,

I don't know any of these places and I don't work on spec. However, wouldn't it be cost-effective to add a day (even if you consider it a 'me day') to visit this place to see if you could pick up another story to pitch when you're home? If nothing else, perhaps it could be a sidebar to something else on Mexico. There must be travelers who want to see something off the beaten path or who are looking for the next new destination (even if it is thousands of years old) or perhaps with more of this place open, there is a greater story to be told? I'd ask the local people in charge what do visitors or those who pass it by overlook, what do they miss by not seeing it? Is there a new piece of the puzzle to be added by a visit here?

Or maybe it's just less crowded so you can linger or get shots without strangers wandering into your field of view...
This reply was deleted.