Always on the cutting edge of style and sophistication, The Athenaeum has also been a trend-setter in family travel – it was the first deluxe property in London with a dedicated children’s program, and the first to allow children to eat for free.  Now, the Athenaeum is the first hotel in London with a dedicated concierge service just for young travelers.

“We love it when families stay with us.  We are a family run hotel, after all,” says Jonathan Critchard, general manager.  “We understand that when kids are happy, their parents are more likely to relax and thoroughly enjoy their stay with us.  And, with Serena catering to your family’s needs, traveling as a family has never been so pleasurable and easy.” 

“Serena” is Serena Zandegu, the Athenaeum’s official Kid’s Concierge. Here are her insider tips for a successful family holiday:

Involve your child in holiday planning.  Let them have a say as to the places they’d like to visit.  And as you’re sketching out your itinerary, be sure to balance out your sightseeing wishes with the children’s.  And don’t try to pack too much into each day – leave time to let off steam and do something fun like feeding the birds or riding bikes in Green Park

Help your kids make their own memories. Give them their own disposable cameras, scrapbooks or diaries so they can record their holiday experiences from their own perspective.  This will keep them thoroughly entertained and give them a personal record of the trip long after the holiday is over.

If possible, bring a duplicate security blanket or favorite toy.  Such things often seem to have a mysterious way of disappearing when you’re traveling. And lost comfort-toys can result in sleepless nights for the entire family.

Put the full contact information of the hotel where you are staying in your children’s pockets. Include the name, address and telephone number. On the off-chance your child wanders off, the authorities will have the necessary information to re-unite the family.

Leave the first day open. This is especially true if you’re flying a considerable distance. After all, kids suffer jet lag, too. So don’t plan too many activities for the first day or two, but try to keep them on regular schedule (meals, naps, etc.), which will help them adjust to the local time zone.

Ask the concierge whether there are other children staying at your hotel.  Kids make friends very quickly and there’s nothing more exciting than making new friends in a new destination!

Speak to the hotel about activities and day trips especially for children.  Not only does this make it possible for you to enjoy some quality time alone, it can also add to everyone’s holiday experience.  For example, I have organized day trips to Hogwarts for children to see where the Harry Potter movies were filmed.  I’ve also organized training days for children who want to learn how to become a hotel concierge—and even organized a ride in a limo around London!

Find out in advance about the hotel’s babysitting services.  These can get especially busy, particularly on weekends.  At the Athenaeum, we work with a company called Hopes & Dreams, who supply highly trained and bonded nannies and babysitters.

Let the hotel know if your child is celebrating a milestone, such as a birthday or graduation.  It is amazing the lengths my colleagues will go to make your child’s day even more special.   The head chef at The Athenaeum has been known to bake themed birthday or celebration cakes that can be in your room upon arrival.

Have fun and enjoy all that London has to offer.  This is a wonderful opportunity to create long-lasting memories.  And I’m here to help make every moment count!           

YOUR LONDON HOME

Known as Mayfair’s Discreet Retreat, The Athenaeum, which recently took top honors at the BT Visit London Awards 2009, has a well-deserved reputation as the home of London’s most personable, professional and friendly hotel staff.  The Athenaeum enjoys an unsurpassed London location directly opposite Green Park and within walking distance of Buckingham Palace. The hotel is close to many of the city’s main cultural attractions, including the Royal Academy of Arts, Trafalgar Square and Churchill’s Cabinet Rooms. London’s best shops, restaurants, theaters, toy stores and parks are within easy walking distance.

To make a booking at The Athenaeum, contact your travel professional (GDS Code YX) or The Athenaeum directly at 800-335-3300, or fax:  800-335-3200.  Further information, can be obtained on the hotel’s newly redesigned web site at www.athenaeumhotel.com.  The hotel’s e-mail address is info@athenaeumhotel.com. 

http://www.athenaeumhotel.com

You need to be a member of Tripatini to add comments!

Join Tripatini

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• That is true. Even I want to visit the Potter home! With my grandchildren, of course.

Sharon A McCoy said:
    Let's hear it for the McCoy's of the world! Wish I knew about this when I was traveling with my kids. Loads of places in the Caribbean offer kid concierges and childrens programs. You won't find this too often in a city like London. And, let's face it....every child should visit the home of Mary Poppins and Harry Potter. It's a right of passage.
  • Let's hear it for the McCoy's of the world! Wish I knew about this when I was traveling with my kids. Loads of places in the Caribbean offer kid concierges and childrens programs. You won't find this too often in a city like London. And, let's face it....every child should visit the home of Mary Poppins and Harry Potter. It's a right of passage.
  • From one McCoy to another, I will tell you that my grandchildren would absolutely love this. What a nice amenity!
This reply was deleted.