Balamku Inn has been nominated for the Leading Green Hotel in Central America and Mexico category by World Travel Awards. This Eco hotel is located in the southern area of the Yucatan Peninsula just south of a little fishing village in a natural, unspoiled environment with a community of friendly people. It has only 9 rooms and they are all on the beach. All of their energy is provided by solar panels and wind generation. The eco hotel supply the guests with 24 hour electricity without a generator. The lights and ceiling fans are energy efficient. All the water from the showers and sinks supports constructed wetlands, providing controlled nutrition to a variety of plants. The toilets are low-flush, reducing water usage and the waste is filtered into composting units eliminating septic tanks. Recently, they have been improving the beach road holes with their recycled sea grass that has become useful after 3 years of decomposition. A second wind generator was also added in Oct 09. Community involvement is strong and part of the every day life of Balamku: they have been working with a Canadian group who are fundraising for a children’s playground in town. This group is also getting clothes for the orphanage in Chetumal. Coordination of this playground will involve significant time and organization. The secondary school is receiving additional supplies for the teens. Balamku also helped 3 eye doctors stay in town while they assessed 178 people for vision problems. As the town considers a recycling centre, they will be active in this significant project. Vote now for Balamku Inn! http://www.worldtravelawards.com/award-mexico-and-central-americas-leading-green-hotel-2010 Click here for more information on Best Eco Lodges Balamku Inn: http://www.best-ecolodges.com/mexico.htm

You need to be a member of Tripatini to add comments!

Join Tripatini

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thank you John!

Eve

John Lamkin said:
    Just voted. I went by Balamku a few weeks ago and was very impressed.
  • Just voted. I went by Balamku a few weeks ago and was very impressed.
This reply was deleted.