Stay in Tulum? or in Cancun?

I stayed on the Riviera Maya last year and would like to try somewhere different.  Definitely interested in Tulum.  Looking for a luxury hotel with room with 2 beds.  Traveling with my son.  Suggestions?  Better to stay in Tulum than in Cancun?  Or vice versa?  Want to be within easy travel to casual restaurants, good beach, yoga, etc.  Leaving beginning of March.

You need to be a member of Tripatini to add comments!

Join Tripatini

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Tulum here I come via Cancun/Pto. Morelos
  • That's exactly what I want to do!
  • Why not investigate the Maroma Spa and Resort, http://www.maromahotel.com/web/ocan/maroma.jsp  which is between Cancun (1/2 hr.)  and Playa (15 min) right in the middle of the jungle with the #1 Riviera beach (rated by Travel & Leisure) and owned by the Orient-Express Group-yes the famous one.  It has all the toots and whistles for lux, whereas Tulum is great for eco-tourism, since many hotels and hostels there operate without electricity in the night.  I´m not sure if electricity is now available 24hr.in Tulum-you might want to check, but for luxury, hum....
  • My daughter lives and works at the Maroma Resort and Spa, http://www.maromahotel.com/web/ocan/maroma.jsp which is owned by the Orient-Express (Yes, THAT famous Orient-Express) Group. This exclusive resort, between Playa (15 min.) and Cancun (1/2 hr.) is on the best beach (rated #1 by Travel & Leisure) for the Riviera. It is right smack in the jungle away from the tourists of Cancun and Playa with all the toots and whistles of luxury.  Tulum is preferred by many because of the inexpensive hostels and hotels, many without electricity (eco-friendly), so if you are looking for luxury, hum....
  • If you want casual restaurants, good beach, closer to Tulum and a luxury hotel ? I think Playa Del Carmen would be closer to Tulum than Cancun by about one hour drive. Look for  hotel properties in the town rather than in Playacar. The Royal and Grand Porto Real are two properties that fall in the luxury category. There are also a few boutique hotels by the beach which have everything except 24 hour room service.
  • I like Tulum much better than Cancun. I haven't been in a while, but when I was there, it was a much more laid back experience in Tulum. I was able to stay in Tulum for a week, do yoga every morning, go into town via taxi for tacos and from there take a bus for day trips to other points of interest like Coba and Valladolid. Some days I just stayed out on the playa in Tulum. It was a great trip
    • Where did you do yoga?
    • At Cabanas Copal. The morning yoga is free if you are staying at one of the Eco-Tulum properties, otherwise it's a pay per session.
This reply was deleted.