Oahu

The most populous and, well, "happening" Hawaiian island, you could say -- thanks to Honolulu/Waikiki -- Oahu also has some bucolic, historic, and mighty scenic spots, too. Not to mention some kick-ass surfing on the North Shore. More info: www.Oahu.Islands-Travel.com, www.Oahu.WorldWeb.com, www.Visit-Oahu.com, www.WaikikiTourism.org.

You need to be a member of Tripatini to add comments!

Join Tripatini

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Driver beware – Honolulu’s cell phone law

Visitors should know that Honolulu has banned the use of cell phones while driving as of July 1. Actually the law bans the use of ‘mobile electronic devices’ while operating a motor vehicle in Honolulu County ... which means that it’s still okay to drive and yak on the cell phone if you’re on the neighbor islands. The Big Island ban will go into effect January 1, 2010.

Similar to the seat belt law, it takes a while before it sinks in. There are still people who talk on cell phones while driving but, drivers beware ... Honolulu police officers will be cracking down beginning this Sunday.

A citation for unlawful cell phone use is a $67 fine for the first offence and it also applies to out-of-state drivers. Note: $67 can buy more that seven plate lunches!

There are some exceptions though – check it out here.

For some dos and don’ts, click here

Until I did the research, I wasn’t aware that it’s illegal to use a cell phone while driving in many foreign countries. For a list of countries, followed by the list of states that have banned the use of a cell phone when driving unless used with some form of hands-free kit, click here.

Safe driving!
This reply was deleted.