Interesting article from France24

Eight deluxe French hotels were crowned with the rare distinction of "palace" status on Thursday, a new industry classification for luxury that goes beyond a mere five stars.

Four Paris hotels - the Bristol, the Meurice, the Park Hyatt and the Plaza Athenee - made the list, plus the Palais in Biarritz, the Airelles and Cheval Blanc in Alpine resort Courchevel and the Grand Hotel Cap Ferrat, near Nice.

French tourism authorities said the rank recognises "French-style excellence" to boost the profile of the most chic hotels, marking them out from branches of foreign-run luxury joints such as Hong-Kong's Shangri-La.

I guess with that new classification may come a new, higher price? Too bad I wouldn't know since five-star hotels in France are beyond my budget.

You need to be a member of Tripatini to add comments!

Join Tripatini

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• With the upcoming opening of the Mandarin Oriental. Paris is going to be the forth most expensive hotel city in the world.

Which doesn't mean you have to spend a king's ransom.  There are plenty of wonderful less costly hotels in Paris and you'll be more than fine.

Tony, wasn't the Four Seasons - Georges V included in the "palace" category? 

Bonjour Paris

• No, Georges V didn't make the list. Some sour grapes in the article:

One of the deluxe hotel chains rewarded, the Dorchester group which runs the Meurice and the Plaza-Athenee, complained that its renowned Paris hotels the Ritz and the George V were not crowned also.

"I have a bitter taste of victory in my mouth," its boss, Francois Delahaye, told AFP. "That the Ritz and especially the George V were not on the list removes all credibility from the award."

I'm off the Asia in a month and will stay in Shangri La hotels. I don't think they are as expensive as the Ritz and Georges V. Anyway since the Mandarin is another Asian brand, then they will be excluded for the list of French Palaces. Thanks for the tip, though.

Tony

This reply was deleted.