Cruise Ships Abandon Athens

These past couple of days they've knocked Piraeus (and, therefore, Athens) off their list because of striking taxi cab drivers etc. Hey, this is Athens. Are the cruise ships over-reacting?

You need to be a member of Tripatini to add comments!

Join Tripatini

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I paid off my cruise with RC for Oct. 9th which stops in Athens. At this time they are saying that my cruise is still going to Athens, however several of their other itineraries both before and after my cruise date have been rerouted. If you are scheduled to cruise to Athens or are considering doing so, the best thing to do is check with the cruise line. Also, I was told if my trip were to be rerouted I would be notified when that decision is made. Hope that helps a little.
    • I see that this question was posted July 20th. I wouldn't have expected that this would still be an issue almost three weeks later, to say nothing of October 9th. What is next -- cancellations in the United Kingdom?
  • Any input on cruise ships going to AThens?????
    • Victor, I haven't seem anything about that this week. My hunch is, it's day to day, so if I had read something yesterday, it still might not be true Monday. Difficult, eh?
  • I believe the cruise lines constantly monitor the situation in their ports of call, and adjust their itineraries accordingly. A couple of examples:

We were cruising in the Arabian Gulf earlier this year, and visited Bahrain ... less than a week later, riots and violence took place; naturally, the cruise line omitted it on subsequent cruises on the same route.

And, I have some friends on a cruise at the moment. When they left, it was announced the ship would NOT call at Port Said or Alexandria because of troubles in Egypt ... however, closer to the time, these ports were reinstated, because the situation seemed to have settled down.

• Ed,

I am scheduled for a cruise in October with Royal Caribbean which includes Athens. Have you heard anything about cancellations / rerouting from RC?

As to you question? I do think that cancelling travel to Athens seems somewhat reactionary however, the cruise lines need to cover their butts.

Disclaimer: Keep in mind that this opinion is coming from someone who decided it was a good idea to visit Egypt right after Mubarak stepped down and there was no real government in place. Turns out it was a great idea (read Egypt Now on Gypsy Tales to find out what made it a good choice). I would have gone on January 30th as I was scheduled if the airline had not decided otherwise.So, perhaps you are getting the opinion of a crazy person.

I've been joking that I am only visiting places where the country is in an upheaval and their people are protesting. It provides opportunities for great stories:-)

Susan Decoteau-Ferrier

Freelance Travel Writer / Blogger

Blog: GypsyTales01.wordpress.com
    FB: http://on.fb.me/kRI507
    Email: Gypsytales01@gmail.com
    Twitter: @Gypsy_Tales
    Phone: 443-907-9353

• Susan, according to cruisecritic.co.uk, the ships that took Athens off their itinerary were Royal Caribbean's Voyager of the Seas, Seabourn Odyssey, Ruby Princess and Pullmantur's Zenith. This is a day-to-day thing with them; it's not a permanent dismissal of Athens. I mean, they just couldn't (could they?).
    • Yeah. My trip is a little ways off. The situation there could and probably will change by that time. Even if it hasn't I'd still be up for the adventure.
  • I think that, that is what the cruise ships are saying. The other side of the agenda, could be the economy.

I also think that we will be seeimg more of that in the months to come.

I read somewhere that one ship with its homeport in San Juan, Puerto Rico is going to Dubai.

This reply was deleted.