Replies

• Good guess, Chelle, but no cigar. It's St. Maarten -- the flat, Dutch side of the island. See my other post in the middle of this discussion.
  • St, Thomas?
  • Humm, a cheap plastic crown he'll probably buy at Wal-Mart or the Dollar General Store, or a flight to Grenada? It's 7 degrees in Kansas City right now... and since my name is Diana, I can't rightly claim I'm a princess.... I guess I'll go to Grenada. Ed, it was very nice of you to offer!!! :)
    Lynne - we'll have to take this act on the road.
  • Diana, Ed's prize is a trip to the Caribbean on Delta when they begin flights nonstop from JFK to Grenada in June.
    OR a crown...your choice.
  • Oh, now I've started something. But there's always gotta be a prize - or at least a crown. I'll settle for a crown.
  • The prize, Diana -- I hadn't thought much about that.
  • So what's my prize for getting it right? A trip to St. Maarten? :)
  • It is, indeed, the Maho Bay section of St. Maarten. The classic photo was taken about 20 years ago: a plane coming down (way down) for a landing, and a kid on the beach waving his arm in a way that created the illusion that this was a toy plane he was tossing.
    Not the best beach on that island for catching a snooze.
  • Hmm, looks like Aruba to me.
  • Well, the article in question covers increased flights between Canada and Cuba and Trinidad & Tobago. But I don't believe planes buzz Tobago's beaches that closely, and Piarco is closer to concrete than sand. As I've sadly not been to Cuba, I can't guess that, though it seems possible.... The island that comes immediately to mind is St. Maarten; the beehive structures are certainly unattractive enough, but somehow that doesn't sound quite right either. Still it's my best option, since that doesn't really look like San Juan's Isla Verde area. It sure ain't St. Barths (and as I recall there isn't a hotel right on the beach at the airport, though we all know the planes seem like they'll glide right into the Caribbean after the avian-worthy dive between the mountains, LOL).
This reply was deleted.