What to charge????

Hello, my freelance PR and writer friends. I am in the running for a 6-month contract to rewrite online content. I would be a subcontractor for a PR firm doing work on a government assignment. It seems that I can expect to work a 40-hour week and they want to know my hourly rate. I have never worked on a project like this and have no idea what to charge. Any ideas???
Your input would be quite helpful. Thanks.

You need to be a member of Tripatini to add comments!

Join Tripatini

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Wow....sounds like long, tedious work. Whatever you decide to charge, just make sure it's worth your time and effort!
  • I posted this on some other professional networking sites. Between the feedback I have received here and the other sites I am inclined to bid it at $35 / hr. They are calling it a "rewrite" but they are really looking to standardize the information on 2800 locations. The work will be divided and over 6-months I would be expected to do roughly 560 "rewrites." This is a big assignment. I am putting rewrites in quotes because there will be two editors on the job so I am not sure how accurate it is to call them rewrites. It might be more accurate to call it standardization, which is probably more like technical writing. I think rewrites, makes it sound more like editing.

Also, I think that I should consider the fact that this is a Federal Government assignment and the PR firm I would be a subcontractor for is in the DC area (as am I). I think that calls for a higher rate than if it were a state agency in the Midwest.

Any additional thoughts???

• I'd be inclined to say $60/hour, Susan. I realize you are rewriting rather than generating fresh content, but I think that's a fair rate for a skilled line editor, which is what you would really be in this situation. I'd love to hear how it goes for you!

Bob

author, How to Write for Magazines

• I think that $25. an hour is way too low.  For a 40 hour work week, that's a yearly salary of $52,000. with no benefits and puts you in the lower level employee category when you're a professional and coming in for only 6 months.   And while $52,000. a year is good for a govt job, it's only because of the great perks such as lots of time off for holidays, sick days, vacation, along w/ good med benefits and pension so all that gives a huge bonus to the basic pay.

May copywriters earn between $75 - $90. an hour.  Since this is the govt and they probably have a limited budget, I think that $50. an hour is a fair and reasonable fee.

• I charge $25 an hour for hourly work and that is for friends and seniors. $50 for others! If it is a guaranteed 6 months, I'd suggest the lesser of the two. Liz http://lizrose.biz/
    Santa Fe Rose - Home
    Santa Fe Rose provides authentic Native American Jewelry and art as well as folk art from around the world.
This reply was deleted.