Travel Writers Injured

I'm posting this as a new discussion because I don't want to interrupt Charlie Leocha's announcement and Allan Lynch's reply, which are important to any of us who fly (i.e. all of us). Scroll down to see these comments if you haven't done so yet.

Meanwhile, a bus has crashed on a MATPRA post-tour meeting, and my friend (and Tripatini member) Mary E Gallagher was among the injured. She's in a hospital now and will remain there for another day or three. I'll post updates whenever possible.

You need to be a member of Tripatini to add comments!

Join Tripatini

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This makes perfect sense. I am doing a FAM to Costa Rica, and though it is a culinary tourism trip, all of us are required to buy travel insurance to be able to go...I think this is needed regardless. I know somebody who was cut up by coral in Honduras...and I got a nasty cut. Thankfully, we were required to get vaccinations for participation, and I am glad I made the investment.

Safety first!
    • You are so right, Elyse. Another writer and I were just discussing the time a colleague of mine had to be flown home from a trip. And this was no quickie flight from, say, Vermont to Manhattan. This was Nigeria to Philadelphia.
  • Allan, I just got off the phone with Mary's husband. I learned that a dump truck full of gravel had broadsided the small bus that was carrying the journalists, and Mary had a window seat. She has multiple broken bones and has already had two surgeries; when she's released from the hospital she'll spend time in a rehab center in York, PA, before she can go home. Will seems okay, all things being relative.

Bobby Hickman, who also had a window seat, ended up 30 feet from the bus, but was able to go home a day or two ago. Dan Bard, a good guy who writes about motorcycle touring, had to be helicoptered away from the scene of the accident, and I'm not sure when he'll be released. What a shame.
  • Without violating her privacy, do we know how badly she is hurt?

Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.
    • Allan, I don't know yet. I should stall another 24 hours before contacting her, just to give her some peace.
This reply was deleted.