As a PR and marketing professional, I would like to know what's the best way to get your attention to cover a certain campaign or issue.

Also what sources do you look to for stories?

Any feedback you could give me will be very much appreciated. Just add a comment to this discussion feed.

You need to be a member of Tripatini to add comments!

Join Tripatini

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Don't be generic. Give us a compelling headline and lead. So often press releases are dull as shit. They're written to satisfy the client, not to inspire the media, who to be frank get dozens of these a day. "X Hotels are happy to announce ..." I could care less.

And think about lead times. I write for magazines, I'm working on spring and summer 2012. If you have a Christmas or Valentine's Day promotion, that's no good to me. Newspapers might be interested, magazines have pretty much decided on 2012.

• Thanks for this feedback! What magazines do you write for?

• It doesn't take much to have my attention--mention RVs, RVing, national or state parks, hiking, photography, and snowbirds.

For more, please check out my RVing site:

http://vogeltalksrving.com/

• You may be interested with some articles that I've written on this topic

http://www.mybloggingjourney.com/2011/11/12/how-small-travel-compan...

http://www.mybloggingjourney.com/2011/07/25/travel-bloggers-working...

• Hi Heather,

Thanks for the tips. I look forward to reading more of your articles.

Heather Cassell

Girls That Roam

www.girlsthatroam.com

www.girlsthatroam.com/wsw2012

• Great posts!! It seems to me that you really understand the blogger and PR relationship quite well. I'll be in touch with you to ask you some more questions.

• I won't care about your issue or campaign, and sending me a press release probably won't make me care.  We care about our readers first - as it should be - and the diligent blogger will keep that in mind in all PR interaction.

I recommend that you engage with bloggers BEFORE you need something from them.  Read and comment on the blogs,follow on twitter, fan and/or friend on Facebook. Most of us who are pros are looking for long term relationships with PR reps, not just press releases, and recognize that a no today isn't necessarily a no forever or for everything.  Pitch on target topics and ideas, care about what we can do for one another, recognize that our publishing outlet is not only our blog but our social media outlets, and basically treat and interact with us the way you'd want us to approach you. 

And don't forget to think big - a brand spokesperson or ambassador agreement, a monthly column for your client's blog, a social media campaign, etc. - are far more attractive than writing about a particular deal or event of limited appeal.

Feel free to contact me directly if you have more specific questions.

Mary Jo

Editor in Chief, The Travelers Way (www.thetravelersway.com)

maryjo@thetravelersway.com

This reply was deleted.