Replies

• Ed I joined. Cara B

Thanks

• I was caught up behind the Northern Peru earthquake in 2010. One of the things that really impressed me was the lack of fuss among all the stranded Peruvians. They realised that the only options were to go back to the nearest town or walk across the wreckage, and most of them struggled across with great resolve!

I wrote a brief blog post about it, and managed to get some nice photos.

Northern Peru Earthquake – Stuck in Bagua on the Way to Tarapoto - Tarapoto Life
    A first hand accou
  • I was in Ixtapa and despite severe hurricane warnings, the resort was making almost no preparations. In fact, they set up with drinks and food a lovely huge room with two walls of glass and told all the guests to gather there when the storm hit. I was thinking of hiding in my bathroom, but the manager assured us that Ixtapa was almost never hit by hurricanes--something about its geography meant the storms bypassed it. I've since read that it is true and the hurricane we weathered did lots of damage in not-so-far off Acapulco, but didn't do more than blow a few fronds off the palapas. This is the first time I've written about it because the terrible damage in Acapulco made it seem inconsequential at the time.

I did write about honeymoons from hell when I was travel editor at Modern Bride, and interviewed several couples who had been caught in hurricanes. One couple narrowly escaped with their lives.

• Was in San Francisco two days after the Loma Prieta quake, lived through plenty of big quakes here in L.A. (but that doesn't qualify for on the road). In May, we were in the vicinity of some tornadoes in Denver. Saw a funnel cloud but nothing hitting the ground, and years ago we got caught in a white-out blizzard in Utah on I-15 in the middle of nowhere.

I've only written about Denver.

Man-made disasters, now that's another story.

• Where did you write about Denver?  

We were caught in fog too thick to see to pull off the road trying to drive from Dallas to San Antonio, not much of a story there.

Made it through seven hurricanes in five years living on the Carolina coast, but the only traveling involved in that was straight out of town!  Many good stories.

• On my blog, the last day we were there...just a part of the story, not the main focus. In our video, I captured the tornado warning on the radio: http://wheelstraveler.blogspot.com/2011/06/denver-colorado-2011-par...

This reply was deleted.