Replies

• You are right!  B&Bs are ideal for romantic getaways, but as someone who usually travels alone, I love staying at a B&B simply because I know that I will be missed if I don't show up at breakfast.  I often find myself out alone for dinner when on business travel, and I love knowing that the light will be left on for me back at the B&B!

As a Mom, B&Bs are great for families too, however, not all of them!  I've been to some fabulous family-friendly B&Bs, where the innkeeper took my kids by the hand and introduced them to the resident horses and lllamas. When's the last time Mr. Marriott or even the GM of a hotel took an interest in your kids??  However, you must pick and choose B&Bs for families carefully, as many would rather you keep the kids at home.  And as a couple wishing to have a kid-less vacation, the guests often do too. 

• I've written extensively about B&Bs. Now I avoid them like the plague. I'm done. On the road I want a certain anonymity I don't want to feel like I'm a teenager sneaking in late at night, trying not to wake up my parents.

• Yeah I hear you.  B&B's are excellent for couples, families, writers, folks that want some quiet, etc.  If your on the road and just want to watch tv, eat, maybe drink some beers etc, hotel is better.  Although there are many larger inns with more anonymous settings, if you are not looking for the extra atmosphere, hospitality, etc. you might not necessarily need a B&B.  Depends on what your looking for.  I have had some of the best experiences at B&B's, spending time with my significant other, reading, playing backgammon...getting close -- then breakfast!  And by myself, as I get to meet the locals, get lot's of quiet time and relax.  But there have been times when I am on road trips, where I just go to a hotel, throw my stuff on the floor and kick-back.   Thanks for your share Allan. 

• Know how you feel but now i wonder are you the guy who was upstairs from me in that marriott last month.

• I'm loving reading all the great insights each of you have to the B&B industry!  Thaks for weighing in...or should I say inn??  The B&B industry is committed to introduing today's B&B experience via the Better Way To Stay campaign - entirely geared toward bashing myths about doilies, shared baths and teddy bears!  I've visited and/or know many of the inns and B&Bs you mention below - Encore B&B, Dear's Rest B&B, Hamilton Turner in Savannah - all great examples of professional, beautifully decorated and hospitable inns and B&Bs.  Come learn more about today's inns and B&Bs at www.Betterwaytostay.com, and oh by the way, are you Pro Doily or No Doily?? Vote here: http://www.betterwaytostay.com/doily-campaign/,  Also, check out these really fun videos on B&Bs vs. Hotels here: http://www.betterwaytostay.com/blog/.  They're really fun! 

• Thanks Marti,

keep up the fine work!

• I love staying at B&Bs. This is a recent story. Money Saving Ideas for B&Bs When traveling at a relaxed pace, this is the way to go. Business travelers are also discovering B&Bs as a great beginning and conclusion from a hectic business day.

We decided to change our plans completely when we stayed here recently  Dear’s Rest, the Ozarks most romantic B&B

And finally, when I am working on a major deadline, "I'll run away from home," check into a B&B and write peace and comfort.

5 best money saving tips at B&Bs
    Always ask for a discount. Clerks can't tell you this, You have to ask for a discount or lower rate.
    • Great idea!

• Kaleel Sakakeeny just posted a blog about a funny promotional campaign for B&Bs: http://www.tripatini.com/profiles/blogs/b-and-b-s-fight-fierce-doil...

Like it? 

• I like it.  I would love to talk with Marti too, I will look her up.  Thanks Ed.

-Thomas

This reply was deleted.