Replies

• Maybe not just the type of event alone to take into consideration for definition of business/formal/casual but also the wider cultural context, i.e., which part of the planet you're presently located?  I think North American standards of what constitutes business or formal, for instance, are actually much more casual than in many parts of the so-called third world.  If you're really in the Caribbean or parts of the Middle East or Asia, you just don't go without a tie/jacket when it's a formal event.  When I was last in Grenada and Barbados, I saw some ladies coming out of a Sunday church service wearing hats.  Bank clerks and hotel staff wore ties.  Otherwise, when back in the U.S. I agree with what some of the ladies here are saying about erring on the side of overdressing - if it's an after-hours event, large convention or conference, you can't go wrong in neat jeans and a jacket or just basic black.  My maternal grandmother - who was Italian-American and wore black for six years after any relative died (i.e., spent her life in black) - is approving from on high.:)
  • I'm suddenly puzzled about appropriate attire for meetings since the dotcom boom. While I want to look professional, I never want to resemble "a suit!" Over the years I've gotten a lot more casual - skirts, tops and interesting shawls from SE Asia, or skirts/pants with sweater sets (cotton in summer; cashmere in winter)- instead of suits.

My full time job is at the magazine division of a newspaper company. The journalists for one of America's national newspapers are downstairs - and they're all pretty casually dressed. A lot of men in Dockers and button down shirts, but casual ones. The women are in the female equivalent, although a few of them wear dresses.

• There was a report on NBC Nightly News on this very subject earlier this week - not so much what to wear to a reception as such, but the overall changing landscape of "business attire."  I thought the report was rather shallow. It just focused on the fact that people are more and more casual in the workplace, but didn't address the impression on business colleagues, etc.

I would prefer to err on the side of a little more formal, more conservative. You can always take a tie off, a jacket off and become more casual.

With regard to flip-flops - I totally see that in Miami and places, and certainly in the heat we're having in the Midwest right now.  But for men and women both, your feet must be well-groomed.  I was at an event recently - a professional gathering - and oh my, this guy's feet were the grossest things.  Cover up those hush puppies.

And same thing women - if it's an outdoor event, it's summer or whatever, go ahead and expose shoulders and some cleavage, but  there are a large number of women showing way too much to be taken seriously in the workplace.

My opinion.  But very good discussion Ed!

• Decent, well-groomed, appropriate to venue and time of year. Reception at a casual bar...or at the Ritz Carlton? I find that most journalists in my region vary attire suited to the place. However, one fellow ALWAYS wears slacks/blazer/tie! (And he does look professional.)
    • I agree. And, I've been told on good authority, that when in doubt, it's better to be overdressed than under-dressed. For what it's worth.
  • The nicer you dress, the nicer you are treated as a journalist & as a traveler. It's a shallow world that way, but sometimes I prefer the shallows
    • The nicer I dress the better I actually feel... shallow?
    • I don't think so, as I feel the same way.
  • I think you always should consider the venue as well.  If drinks are at a swanky club vs.an informal pub or a trendy hot spot, it also makes a difference.  At a swanky club or resto, I think they would want you men to wear a jacket.  At an informal or trendy restaurant, a woven button down shirt is fine, though I'm sure they'd appreciate a blazer too.

In any case, it most certainly means a button down woven shirt, and worn buttoned up, not open and over a tee shirt.  I'd avoid jeans unless you're a fashion maven and know how to pull off the perfect jean look. (however, if you're asking this question, you're not) And it always means no sneakers. Eeeww!

I always dress business attire for the travel cocktail receptions and step it up or down a notch depending on the weather and the venue (I'll wear fashinable jeans if it's at a trendy hotel like the Gansevoort, but not if it's at the 21 Club). I can't tell you how many times a publicist at one of these cocktail hours or lunches  has asked me if I'm a travel writer because I don't "look like one", and when I ask what that means, they whisper, "you look great and too many travel writers are so sloppy looking".   Nuff' said!

• IFWTWA gets the same reply from our hosts. It is nice.
This reply was deleted.