Replies

• Yery helpfull comment Kristin. I'll just follow up and ask nicely if they are interested or not.

Kristan Schiller said:
    Hi all, thanks for the feedback. I have had some nice correspondences with editors there after sending a few very well-researched pitches (sent with photos, which were requested) but then recently waited what seemed like an extremely long time for a reply (this from a senior editor.) He did finally get back to me with an acceptable and respectful rejection after almost a month, which he'd said would be just a week but I'm wondering how much time I should spend pitching Afar. I like the magazine, too, but not sure how well-organized the editors are, or how professional. Again, thanks fellow writers, for the feedback!

inka piegsa-quischotte said:
    I too asked for writer guidelines and got them very quickly and in great detail together with a few sample pieces which I found very helpful.I submitted a query along the lines they wanted about 2 weeks ago and since then...I'm waiting. I think I'll follow up in about another 2 weeks and then just try again. I like the magazine.
  • Hi all, thanks for the feedback. I have had some nice correspondences with editors there after sending a few very well-researched pitches (sent with photos, which were requested) but then recently waited what seemed like an extremely long time for a reply (this from a senior editor.) He did finally get back to me with an acceptable and respectful rejection after almost a month, which he'd said would be just a week but I'm wondering how much time I should spend pitching Afar. I like the magazine, too, but not sure how well-organized the editors are, or how professional. Again, thanks fellow writers, for the feedback!

inka piegsa-quischotte said:
    I too asked for writer guidelines and got them very quickly and in great detail together with a few sample pieces which I found very helpful.I submitted a query along the lines they wanted about 2 weeks ago and since then...I'm waiting. I think I'll follow up in about another 2 weeks and then just try again. I like the magazine.
  • I too asked for writer guidelines and got them very quickly and in great detail together with a few sample pieces which I found very helpful.I submitted a query along the lines they wanted about 2 weeks ago and since then...I'm waiting. I think I'll follow up in about another 2 weeks and then just try again. I like the magazine.
  • I met the (now since departed) original editor of AFAR at the Book Passage travel writers/photographer's conference a year ago. Like other writers, I was encouraged by the appearance (instead of disappearance) of a new publication that might be accepting freelance stories.

However, if you read the detailed submission guidelines, you'll see that most freelancers have little or no chance of having a feature story run in AFAR. I submitted brief a "Memorable Rooms" piece a few months back, but have gotten no response (which seems pretty typical for most publications).
  • I asked a few questions regarding their writers guidelines and they responded very quickly. I then sent in two "brilliant" queries, followed up a couple of times, and haven't heard boo. :(
This reply was deleted.