Did I Buy the Right Camera?

This morning in Costco I saw a Nikon DSLR kit -- body + two lenses -- that was on sale, and needing a new camera and lens for my work (travel stories for the internet, plus occasional photos for a magazine, I bought. Helping my decision was the fact that Costco gives me 90 days to return it. 

Here's what I bought:

http://www.costco.com/Nikon-D5100-DSLR-Camera-2-Lens-Bundle.product.11659644.html

And here are a few questions:

1. Any comments about the camera? The lenses?

2. I'd much prefer to be using just one lens, so I had my eye on a different kit that included a Nikon 18-200, but someone told me that wouldn't be sharp enough. Your thoughts? 

3. If you disapprove of both my choices -- the kit I bought and the one I was looking at -- do you want to suggest something else? 

Many thanks. 

You need to be a member of Tripatini to add comments!

Join Tripatini

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• All interesting comments. Debbra, our experiences are proof positive that once again, the price of technology keeps going down. Anil, that link you posted below was a real eye-opener. I mean, getting this kit for $899 looked great enough; now I'm looking at a $799 deal. Note this one difference: The Costco deal includes a 55-300, but this one is a 55-200.

Does that mean I should hang onto what I've got, or should I save $100 and trade down to the $799 package? I was worried about the sharpness of the 18-300 lens; would the 18-200 lens be more accurate? If so, I'm happy to do without the extra zoom-ability. What do you think? 

• Nikon, Canon, Sony... they all are fine cameras. Evaluating superior one over the other is like a religious debate - It never ends. I have used two of the three mentioned DSLRs. No complaints. They all require occasional maintenance. 

Or to use a airplane food phrase - Chicken or Pasta ?  :) Similar quality.

BTW BHPhoto seems to be cheaper (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/836592-REG/Nikon_D5100_Digita...) I really did not read the T&Cs of Costco. 

• Hi Ed,

I have been using this same camera for 3 years (probably have an older version)  I got it at Costco as a kit.  It has served me well and after traveling with a group of photographers to Machu Picchu in August, one of them advised me it may be time to "upgrade."  I haven't started the research for a new camera yet, but one thing I recommend is getting a clear filter.  I had to buy a replacement lens after scratching the lens of the 18x55 mm this summer while traipsing through the jungle with the lens cover off. 

Before I purchased the replacement lens, I considered getting a camera that doesn't require changing lenses.  But was told that I would sacrifice on the quality of the photos.  If you want to use your photos for a mag, I will be interested to hear what the pros will say about this camera.

Perhaps I am starting my research now?  Thanks, Jacquie

• Ed,

This a fantastic deal! I bought the Nikon D-3000 with two kit lenses, 18-55mm and 55-200mm, a couple of years ago and now would love to have the lens that zooms up to 300mm as you got in this kit. I think I paid around $700 for mine at Wolf Camera, but it was up to $800 with U/V filters, etc. I love that the camera and lenses are so lightweight and am overall very pleased with my purchase. I'd say, keep it and enjoy!

• Ed, Being a Nikon person, I'd say you made the right purchase. I haven't checked the reviews on that particular model, but I've had good luck with all the Nikons I've owned.  Cheers,   John

This reply was deleted.