Another Option for a Travel Camera?

Yesterday I bought a Canon EOS 60D with an EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens. But I have questions, just as I did with the camera about which I posted (and you folks offered very useful feed back) several months ago -- a camera that I soon returned.

Basically, I decided that I wanted a body that comes with an 18-200, because I need that range when I travel, I have no time to change lenses, and although I occasionally sell photos, I'm not about to carry two bodies. The specs and the dpreview for this camera-lens combo look good to me, but my question for you is: Am I missing something by purchasing a camera that came out two years ago with a lens that came out in (I think) 2008?

You need to be a member of Tripatini to add comments!

Join Tripatini

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thank you all; you've given me some ideas for when I go back to B&H and ask some questions. The questions will be smarter ones now. 

• I use that lens as the prime lens for my year-old Canon EOS 7D and really like it. I can't imagine any issues with a 60D either.

• Hi Ed, I don't know the particular camera, but I've used lenses that came out in the 1950's -- from Russia, yet. I don't think think that Canon has made terrific advances since 2008. I also got rid of my DSLR with 2 lenses in favor of a Nikon P7000 prosumer camera and really love it and not schlepping around all that equipment. My second camera is a Nikon AW100--fits in my pocket and will go under water, etc. Happy trails,  John

PS, ALWAYS carry a spare camera.

• Ed...I use this lens on my Canon 40D and can achieve some great results. The 60D is regarded to be an excellent camera, you don't need the latest equipment to take great shots. It has more to do with the eye of the photographer. I know a professional photographer who has won numerous international awards with a very old fixed lens camera. It comes down to your own creativity.

I find the 18-200mm lens so useful as it really eliminates a lens thus taking care of the heavy luggage. I do always take my macro lens with me when travelling anywhere. The new cameras coming on stream now have the advantages of featuring wireless capabilities, touch screen, video inclusion...and many other options, some that may be considered gimmicks. BUT, do we need them?  A search will tell you more in depth.

I guess you could say that if buying a camera and lens why not get the latest available, but does it suit your budget, will you use the new features and sometimes it's best to have a product tested in the public arena before purchase.

This reply was deleted.