10 most ethical travel destinations?

I agree with most but not all of these choices; what about you?

• Barbados
  • Cape Verde
  • Costa Rica 
  • Ghana
  • Latvia 
  • Lithuania
  • Mauritius 
  • Palau 
  • Samoa
  • Uruguay 

(This list is from ethicaltraveler.org.)

You need to be a member of Tripatini to add comments!

Join Tripatini

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I am familiar with some of the eco-resorts on your site Lise. They are very good, although I don't agree with the description of Maho Bay Campgrounds as being cooled by tradewinds. The hill behind them blocks the winds which come from the east. (I like Maho Bay anyway!)  You asked Will this top 10 rating hurt those countries that didn't make it? It might, but I hope that people will choose hotels instead of countries when they plan trips. Finca Rosa Blanca would be green in ANY country, and so would Maho Bay which is on an island that did not make the list.  Also there are some resorts in Barbados that use up a lot of water and power and waste food even if the island made the ecotourism list. 

• In theory it seems like a great idea to come up with a top 10 list of countries that are becoming more ethical, and they seem to back it up with research.  I just worry what impact it will have on countries that didn't make the list.

I run an eco-lodging directory with an Eco Rating and I know many of the lodges on my site are not in the top 10 countries and I wonder what impact that will have on them.  They work very hard to improve the areas they're in and educating people, also by hiring locally, training, preserving, etc. and it's in part by their hard work that things slowly change for the better in their countries.  It's my thought that if we help eco lodges by frequenting them so that they can generate income and improve the lot of the local people and thereby improve the country, then we are helping good things happen.  One day they may make the top 10.

Will this top 10 rating hurt those countries that didn't make it?  At this point I don't see how it couldn't but I'm interested in what others think and intellectually I think it's a great idea.

The website for eco lodging is: Eco Tropical Resorts

• Sam, I saw this, too. Hard to judge the choices until we see the judges' criteria, so here's a link to that:

http://www.ethicaltraveler.org/explore/the-worlds-ten-best-ethical-...

This reply was deleted.